Tuesday 20 March 2012

Landscape Interpretations


Naturalistic interpretation of a landscape photo.
Driftwood, birch branches and Ranunculus.

Freestyle ikebana is a lot about interpreting the surroundings, the space or situation that the arrangement is going to relate to because it will be placed in a certain spot, or because it will be commenting on a specific occasion or an object in the room. The interpretation is a personal work by the ikebana artist in which one can use different styles, materials, forms etc.

As a practice I was challenged to interpret a landscape photo from a calendar, making first a naturalistic arrangement and then an abstract interpretation of the same photo. This was great fun and a good exercise. It opens the eyes to the many possibilities we have, being surrounded by so many materials of different colours and shape. Life is a lot about choosing to use one possibility and let others wait for another time.

Abstract interpretation.
Dried Aspidistra, two types of white Chrysanthemum,
pine, black and blue plastic.

This last picture is the photo from the calendar that I got to work with. The text is an Albert Camus quote in Norwegian about friendship and about walking side by side, so that was also part of what had to be interpreted.


“Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
Albert Camus

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails