Monday 14 February 2011

eBay Iemoto Class


The Sogetsu School was started a little more then 80 years ago and have since then had four iemotos (head masters), all from the same family. The iemoto is leading the organization of the school and is also responsible for the artistic development - so it's a complex and difficult task. 

If you are lucky to be in the right place at the right time you can take ikebana classes, referred to as iemoto classes, held by the present iemoto. My favorite iemoto is the late Hiroshi Teshigahara, who died in 2001. I started my ikebana studies in 2005 so I have never had the chance to experience him in person. Still, I feel that I know him from books and from his legacy that is still highly treasured by many ikebana teachers and students.

A few weeks ago when I opened my mail box I found an envelop with a preowned card book that I had bought on eBay. A card book is a paper back book that can be taken apart, so that the thick pages can be used individually as studying cards. This particular card book is quite rare and consists of 20 cards with photos of ikebana arrangements by Hiroshi Teshigahara. On the back of the cards the arrangements are explained. I felt so privileged to be able to follow this "iemoto class" card by card in my own pace. Reading this book I really am in the right place at the right time.

by Hiroshi Teshigahara
Paperback, 20 colour cards
Diane Pub Co, 1986
ISBN-10: 0756750849
ISBN-13: 978-0756750848

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails