Monday 9 November 2009

Modern Moon Mania

It has been said that the moon has a special influence on human beeings. Despite research showing no association the belief persists that the full moon effects our minds. It's true that the moon is able to move oceans. It's possible because of the large surface. But the moon has no influence on smaller lakes, and even less the water content in a human body.

Still the moonlight fascinates people, and so do ikebana arrangements in moon vases. The arrangements in this post are modern interpretations of traditional moon arrangements. As in all modern ikebana line and mass, space and volume are important aspects. The flowers and berries should ideally be light in colour - I just couldn't resist the nice contrast created by the strong red against the black vases.

Volume and mass: Dried Larch and Calla.

Vertical lines and mass: Calla, Ishu-ike.

Straight lines and mass: Rowan, Ishu-ike.

Horisontal and vertical lines: Pine and Berberis.

That's all from the moon folks! This is the last in a series of posts about moon arrangements.

2 comments:

Kathryn Costa said...

I have only just started my Ikebana classes. I've recently finished my 11th arrangement in the first book (Sogetsu School) so it will be many arrangements more before I will try the mysterious moon vase. Thank you for posting your arrangements. I look forward to looking at more of your work. My arrangements are found on my blog, http://www.collagediva.com. Here you will see that I work in a variety of mediums. To see all of the Ikebana arrangements click on the category found on the right.

nordic lotus said...

Hi Kathryn, Thanks for commenting. I had a peak at your blog, love your arrangements. My favorite is lesson 9 - so simple and elegant. I've listed your blog and is looking forward to following your work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails