Wednesday 6 March 2013

Visit From The Other Side of the World

Some time ago I was contacted by my blogger friend and fellow Sogetsu ikebanist Christopher James in Australia. He was on a trip in Europe and suggested that he could come to Oslo and that we could meet.

We got a couple of beautiful winter days with the sun shining on the crispy snow. It was great to meet in real life, being able to share experiences, talk about ikebana teaching and also discuss the books by Norman Sparnon who in many ways pioneered Sogetsu ikebana in Australia. I have most of his books in my ikebana library and find them to be great both for inspiration and as references for ikebana techniques and philosophy.

In 2011 Christopher was awarded a scholarship by the Norman and Mary Sparnon Endowment Foundation and spent three months studying at the Sogetsu Head Quarters  in Tokyo. During that time he kept an internet journal and that is how we got in contact. I've been following his blog Roadside Ikebana since then so I was really glad that we got to meet.

Christopher is represented in the book Ikebana Through All the Seasons with some great contemporary ikebana arrangements. Have a look if you have the book - but make sure you have enough time. I always get stuck looking at all the great pictures when I open this book.

Ikebana Through All the Seasons
Publisher: Stichting Kunstboak, 2011
ISBN-10: 9058563677
ISBN-13: 978-9058563675

Books by Norman Sparnon at Amazon

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails