Tuesday 12 October 2010

Day 4 - The Beauty of the Imperfect

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect - that's the beauty of life. The Japanese words wabi-sabi stand for an aesthetics of beauty that is imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete. Wabi refers to the loneliness of living in nature, rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and understated elegance.

Intertwined leaves of Siberian Iris with Potentilla flowers.
Stoneware bowl by Gunnar Nylund, 1950s Rörstrand Studio.

In todays ikebana arrangement I've used yellowing leaves of Iris, intertwined in shape of a drifting movement. I also found some Potentilla flowers that are still in bloom, reinforcing the yellow colour. One of them is actually just a bud - nature never gives up.

October is considered the most wabi month of the year. According to my friend Margie of the SweetPersimmon blog, in tea ceremony this is the time to find again the cracked and broken utensils that have been lovingly repaired. In the world of flowers autumn is a time for reflection and seeing things as they are, honoring the flawed beauty of withering plants.

2 comments:

Venkimayyu said...

Just cant take my eyes away from this beauty!!!

Kathryn Costa said...

What a beautiful post to accompany a lovely Ikebana arrangement. I enjoy each of my arrangements even when they start to dry or tire -- the dimpled rose hips, the wilting orchid -- they remind me of the circle of life. In my class is a woman who is in the 4th book and I am fascinated by the design challenges and how she approaches them. She is like a magician to me as she weaves leaves and flowers. I've come a long way in the last year and can see from looking at your arrangements that I have much to look forward to. Thank you for swinging by and leaving a comment on my blog. Best to you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails